wodehousing

wodehousing

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel García Márquez I was talking to my mom the other day about wanting to read Garcia Márquez, and she told me to start with this book.
I am still trying to make sense of it. I’ll paraphrase someone from Goodreads to explain what this is all about:
This novel dramatizes the story of a young bride whose husband returns her after their wedding night because she’s not a virgin. Subsequently, her brothers set out to murder the man whom she names as the “perpetrator”. A former resident who has returned to reconstruct these events narrates the story, which is as much about the townspeople as about the main characters.
At the beginning of the book there’s this fellow, Santiago Nasar, who gets killed. And his killers actually tell everyone in the village that they’re going to kill him. And no-one bothers to tell Santiago that he’s getting murdered. So everyone just feels pretty guilty afterwards.
It’s not that I didn’t enjoy this book, I liked the way it was written, but there was nothing to guess, really, I already knew how it was going to end from page 1. I’m hoping 100 Years of Solitude will be better.
Read from May 28th to May 29th, 2010.