wodehousing

wodehousing

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré In the second book of the series, Harry gets a visit from a masochistic house elf at the Dursley’s home, who warns him against going back to Hogwarts. And then proceeds to endanger his life in 500 different ways. Meanwhile, something is Petrifying students back at Hogwarts, and it’s up to the trio (because apparently teachers don’t care much for it in the beginning) to solve the mystery.
I’ll be honest here, this was probably my least favourite book in the series. The boys are just recklessly dumb, with no regards for consequences to themselves or others. It’s one of those “very, very brave, but very, very dumb” cases, and I feel like slapping them most of the time.
However, I am reading this for the first time with the whole series in mind, ending and all, and realized that there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of important things going on here. Firstly, there’s a glimpse of Riddle’s past, kept in the diary, which is vital later on. Then, we learn about Azkaban, which will be the focus of the next book as well.
I’ve come to terms with CoS being more of a bridge than anything else, but I did enjoy it much more this time. For me, it’s a very creepy book, because I don’t like snakes very much, and the thought that a huge snake is creeping around in the pipes in my bathroom freaks me out, but because I also don’t like spiders. Again, what throws me off here is the boys’ stupidity. I know it makes a lot of sense when you’re 12, BUT OH GOD, COULD YOU BE ANY DUMBER?
Ending with a positive note, I love it when Ron throws up slugs.