wodehousing

wodehousing

Player One - Douglas Coupland This is the second Coupland book I’ve reviewed here on Wandering Books. Quite honestly, I’m thinking Mr. Coupland believes everything will go to shit in a matter of months.
Player One is a real time five-hour novel set in an airport bar, where 5 different people (Karen, a single mother waiting for her online date; Rick, the airport lounge bartender; Luke, a pastor on the run; Rachel, a blonde girl who is incapable of feelings and understanding sarcasm; and a mysterious voice named Player One), during a global disaster. The price of oil barrels shoot up, and before we know it, everyone is freaking out and then there’s a sniper and suddenly everyone realizes The Meaning of things and find love, and yayness!
So, more or less like Generation A. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy it, I’m just saying Douglas Coupland is getting paranoid and trying really hard to get a message accross. Okay, we get it, we’re fucking this world up. Coupland’s books are usually my favourite because they feature heavily flawed, hilarious characters squished together in not very pleasant settings, and that’s what happens here. The outcomes are funny and nice, and there’s a nice glossary at the end with words that will presumably grace our world in the upcoming centuries, but reading this just made me yearn for jPod once more.
Nostalgia!